[Extractstream [MM]] Flaky Tivo... <sniff>

David Ranch dranch at trinnet.net
Wed Sep 17 00:48:40 PDT 2003

 >2) Is it possible with all the jazz going on in that Tivo that maybe the HD
 >can't keep up anymore? I'm still at single 40G 5400RPM hard drive - with
 >the extra load (Webserver, telnet server, etc...) going on, would a memory
 >upgrade (to 32Meg) and a 7200rpm / 8Meg buffer hard drive be prudent? Does
 >the HD buffer size really *mean* anything to a Tivo anyway? How would I
 >find out?

I bet the HD is developing more and more bad blocks which is causing your
grief.  The quickest way to fix this is dd the contents of your old HDs to a
new HD and use the new drive.  If you cannot get a new drive, you'll need to
backup your machine to some other 40GB HD or be willing to lose all your
content.  Ultimately, you need to low level format your IDE HD and see if that
helps.  Ultimately, your HD might be failing and needs replacement anyway.  You
won't know until you run the Vendor's destructive test tool on the HD.

--David
|  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         dranch at trinnet.net  |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'