[SA-exim] User prefs

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 07:37:47 -0700

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:21:08AM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 00:09, Mikel Tidwell wrote:
> > So, either I can use sa-exim, which doesn't allow me to set up user prefs,
> > or I can use the site mentioned (specifically the page
> > http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/config_docs/exim4_spamassassin.html), which also
> > tells me I can't use user configurations? :(
>
> You have a choice:-
>   - you run SA once on each message and do not have the option
>     of applying recipient specific rules
>     + either at SMTP time (reject early) - sa-exim local_scan patches
>     + or during routing - config change only to exim
>   - You run SA once per recipient delivery at the cost of more
>     SA invocations, lower efficiency, but more customability

Actually, for my company, I'm going with #3.

I'm going to run it at SMTP time, and write a router that tests for
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs and runs it again with the user's custom options
for the few who have some.

Note however that:
1) if you mangle the subject, it might get mangled twice
2) if you reject the message at SMTP time, you obviously can't deliver it to
   the user
3) other similar caviats