[SA-exim] Teergrubing (stalling SMTP sessions )

Robert Strickler Robert.Strickler at us.net56.net
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 14:35:59 -0500

I called this kind of delay introduction a "spambump", like speedbumps used
to slow you down in a parking lot. It does not surprise me that someone else
has already though of it.

I'm pretty ignorant of the Exim and SA internals, sorry correct me if I am
wrong.
However, couldn't we automatically send a continuation instead of "250 Mail
accepted" when the "." line is received?

When determined to be "not SPAM" send the OK, otherwise keep them on the
hook for X minutes before sending the reject message.

For production use, code would probably need adjustable maximum connection
times and adjustable maximum simultaneous thread or maybe something like
sendmail's load based processing deferral. Taken to a useful, robust
implementation is certainly not an afternoons worth of coding. But I think
the idea has a great deal of merit.