[SA-exim] Teergrubing (stalling SMTP sessions )

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman.ddts.net
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:44:11 -0500

---------------------- multipart/signed attachment
On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 12:46:33PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
| On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 02:50:37PM -0500, Robert Strickler wrote:
| > ># This is done by never acknowledging DATA from the sender.
| > ># Note that this is against what RFCs state
| >=20
| > Sending the continuation mess gage as noted in the Teergrubing web pages
| > would follow the RFC and would be nicer on false positives as they shou=
ld
| > actually get the reject. Of course the load shedding logic isn't there.=
|=20
| Actually they can get the reject, you can sit 4mn and then send the rejec=
t.
|=20
| Now, I re-read the FAQ you pointed to, and I see what you mean. Instead of
| sitting 4mn and sending 45x message, I could:
| 1 wait 1mn
| 2 print "450- message is spam, please wait for more output
| 3 goto 1
|
| That definitely sound like an option I could add.  (I'll have to see
| how exim and local_scan react to the other side eventually dropping
| the connection)

While this is better (more reliable, more painful, etc), the
local_scan function can't do it.

The problem with trying to do this from the local_scan is that it
merely signals exim with a "thumbs up/thumbs down/not now, try again
later" flag.  The local_scan has no other control over what is
returned to the connected host.

*However*, thanks for the link Robert!  It would be great to use that
as a front-end to exim, or in the same manner as labrea on hosts that
don't receive mail.

In addition, the sending host won't go away because it will still be
receiving data before the timeout occurs.  It just won't see the end
of the data for a veeeerry long time.

-D

--=20
In his heart a man plans his course,