[SA-exim] Teergrubing (stalling SMTP sessions )

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:39:41 -0700

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 03:44:11PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> | Now, I re-read the FAQ you pointed to, and I see what you mean. Instead of
> | sitting 4mn and sending 45x message, I could:
> | 1 wait 1mn
> | 2 print "450- message is spam, please wait for more output
> | 3 goto 1
> |
> | That definitely sound like an option I could add.  (I'll have to see
> | how exim and local_scan react to the other side eventually dropping
> | the connection)
>
> While this is better (more reliable, more painful, etc), the
> local_scan function can't do it.
>
> The problem with trying to do this from the local_scan is that it
> merely signals exim with a "thumbs up/thumbs down/not now, try again
> later" flag.  The local_scan has no other control over what is
> returned to the connected host.

I  haven't looked  at the  code  yet, but  I  was thinking  that stdout  was
probably redirected to the remote socket and that I could probably cheat and
output 45x- messages from inside local_scan
Obviously, I'd be stepping out of  the bounds than local_scan is supposed to
stay in, but eh, Philip would first have to fly to the Silicon Valley before
he could come kick my ass to teach me :-)