[SA-exim] I missed it - true spam is accepted

Peter N Lewis peter at stairways.com.au
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:35:54 +0800

At 22:35 -0700 28/7/02, Mikel Tidwell wrote:

>I could tell you where the conf help file if spamassassin.org was
>responding.  You need to set a [perm] reject level in the spamassassin conf
>to actually reject any bad emails.  Otherwise they'll just be marked as
>spam, but accepted anyway.

Do be very careful about rejecting email based on spamassassin (or
any other "educated guess" system).  Remember that spamassassin
absolutely *will* flag some non spam messages as spam.

The better method is to flag it as spam and then educate your users
in how to use their email filters to easily get rid of spam if they
want to.  And then educate your smarter users to filter the spam into
a mailbox and occasionally go through it to find any mislabeled
non-spam messages.

If you're considering rejecting spam for your users, first read Geoff
Duncan's recent TidBITS article, Email Filtering: Killing the Killer
App:

http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06866

Enjoy,
    Peter.