[SA-exim] I missed it - true spam is accepted

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:12:59 +0300

* Peter N Lewis <peter@stairways.com.au> [20020729 09:38]: wrote:
> Do be very careful about rejecting email based on spamassassin (or
> any other "educated guess" system).  Remember that spamassassin
> absolutely *will* flag some non spam messages as spam.

Correct.

> The better method is to flag it as spam and then educate your users
> in how to use their email filters to easily get rid of spam if they
> want to.  And then educate your smarter users to filter the spam into
> a mailbox and occasionally go through it to find any mislabeled
> non-spam messages.

When most of your users use M$ Lookout then there is a problem - how do you
tell Outlook to see the "X-SPAM" header in it's filters?? I'd be grateful
if someone can enlighten me on that, because I don't want to rewrite the
Subject. The flagging does not help some users because they still receive
the mail.

> If you're considering rejecting spam for your users, first read Geoff
> Duncan's recent TidBITS article, Email Filtering: Killing the Killer
> App:
>
> http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06866

I'll read that. However using SA (local_scan) does not leave any options
for the user.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  <wash@wananchi.com>    "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in
praise of intelligence.
		-- Bertrand Russell