[SA-exim] using exim4 on debian

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:08:05 -0700

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 10:35:11AM -0600, David Bishop wrote:

> While there isn't any step-by-step docs on how to do this, I think I hit all
> the major points.  Installed the .deb.  Edited /etc/mail/spamassassin.conf
> (including uncommenting the line that seemed to be needed to enable
> spamassassin? But it's in the middle of the file?).  Copied my existing

It's not an on-off flag, it's a decide when you run it flag.
Sure it could be up in the file, but I expect you to read all of it anyway
:-)

> Well, if this is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for the exim that comes
> with debian (version 3.35-1 in unstable) then it ought to be able to

It's not. My exim4 package is a quick and dirty package for my own use which
works, but will not magically upgrade your exim 3 config.
For that matter, exim 4 cannot be a drop in replacement for exim 3 because
the config changes are too big.
There is a convert3r4 (or something) script that helps with the convertion,
but you'll still have to review it by hand afterwards.

> understand local_domains, eh? :-)  Any ideas on what I'm missing, screwed up,
> or need to change, would be greatly appreciated.

Try the convert script, and learn about exim 4's new config options.
You'll have to do that whether you run my package or compile exim 4 yourself