[SA-exim] New Installation HOWTO

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:10:17 -0700

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 12:04:16PM -0500, rlaager wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've spent several months working with SpamAssassin. It is working
> perfectly on its own. I've even managed to get spamc/spamd working.
> However, I haven't found a good way to integrate it with an MTA. I'm
> hoping to bounce spam, not tag it or /dev/null it. The SA-Exim patch
> seems to be exactly what I need. However, I can't seem to get it to
> work. I've configured sendmail (ick!) many times, but Exim is totally
> new. Can anyone provide insight into how I can setup Exim with the
> SA-Exim patch. (I can handle setting up SpamAssassin, if installing
> the RPM and configuring it is all that is needed.) I'm using RedHat
> 7.2.

Ok, one thing at a time.

First, you should get Exim 4.0x working properly.
If you need help with that, you should ask on the exim list.

Once you have exim working properly on your system, activating SA-Exim
is really easy.
1) compile it in
2) install the spamassassin.conf file in /etc/mail (or wherever else you
   configured local_scan to look for it)
3) Read the comments in that file, they serve as documentation, and setup
   SA-Exim to do what you want.

If after all that there is something *specific* that you don't understand,
feel free to ask, but no, there isn't a point by point howto
1) there isn't one for exim anyway
2) adding sa-exim isn't all that hard