[SA-exim] sa-exim 2.2 feedback?

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:59:34 -0800

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:05:49AM -0500, Ariel Sandberg wrote:
> Well I've been using sa-exim for about 1 week.  I have no experience with
> any of the other versions but here are my experiences:
>
> I started with a very aggressive score of 5.6,  This was stopping a lot of
> crap but unfortunately it did stop some valid emails that were generated by
> Air canada's ticket reciept/Itenery Generator as well as some other emails,
> so I raised the score to 8.  I'm still stopping a lot of crap though!

I think both are too agressive, unless you're not using RBLs at all.
I issue a tempreject at 10, a permreject at 12, and I teergrube at 25.

I still receive a spam here and there, but very little overall.

> I was thinking about teergrubbing but I was not sure about what sort of
> performance it would cost our mail hub?  I imagine none since it would be
> doing nothing but stalling, but was not sure.

You're not going to use  up CPU, but it will use up a  your RAM for a little
longer and  it will use  up a process  slot and a  few sockets for  a little
longer too.
In  other words,  unless  you  have an  extremely  loaded  mail server,  you
shouldn't notice the slight extra load.

> I'm extremely pleased with the results though.

Glad that it works ok for you.

Cheers,