[SA-exim] sa-exim 2.2 feedback?

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:47:30 -0800

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:33:06AM +0000, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> Would it be possible to have tempreject somehow wait for a preset
> period, so keep defering it for say four hours? I presume this would
> need to hook into a DBM file or some store to keep track, with an MD5 or
> Nilsimsa sig key for the message.

Right. Well, I guess you *could* just save the message-id and do a stat
on it when the mail comes back and accept it if the diff is big enough

> The purpose would be to ultimately accept the message but give the
> collaborative databases (blacklists, razor, DCC, others?) time to react.
> If the message ended up annoying any of those lists it might tip its SA
> score into the permreject bin.

I get the idea, yes.

> Looking at the local_scan code etc has been on my todo list for a bit.
> If there's interest in this and folks think it's viable/reasonable I
> would spend some time on this idea.

I don't think I will implement that myself because I don't really need
it that badly, but that sounds like a decent plan.
I think the simplest way to implement that would be:
- require admin to save Emails for which you issued a tempredirect
  (by only using the message-id as the filename, not unixtime_mesgid)
- If  a message  triggers tempreject,  before saving  it, check  if it's
  already there on disk
  - if it's there, look at the time delta and if the delta is too small,
    don't save the message a second time and issue a tempredirect again
  - if the time delta is bigger than a config value, accept the message

If you're worried about not saving too much of the message, you can set
SAmaxbody to a very small value.

Come to think  of it, this doesn't  sound that hard to  implement, I may
actually write it, but this will wait for the next time I feel compelled
with muck with the code, which may not be anytime soon :-)
(of course, I would accept a patch)

> PS Thank you Marc for the work! I'm running the patched, pre-teergrubbe
>    code on a couple of boxes.

Glad to hear it's useful to a few other people than me :-)