[SA-exim] sa-exim 2.2 feedback?

Paul Makepeace merlins.org at paulm.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:33:06 +0000

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:05:30PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 03:59:17PM -0500, Ariel Sandberg wrote:
> > Can you tell me what exactly tempreject does?  I was reading through the
> > documented config file but am a little uncertain when and why I would need
> > it?
>
> tempreject  tells  the remote  mail  server  that  you are  temporarily  not
> accepting  their Email. Almost  all  mail  servers will  retry  to send  the
> message for up to 5 days or so.
> In the meantime, you  have the option to read your  logs, inspect mails that
> you are  rejecting (if  you enabled  the option  to save  them on  disk) and
> possibly whitelist the mail so that you accept it next time it comes around

Here's an idea I've had floating about for a while:

Would it be possible to have tempreject somehow wait for a preset
period, so keep defering it for say four hours? I presume this would
need to hook into a DBM file or some store to keep track, with an MD5 or
Nilsimsa sig key for the message.

The purpose would be to ultimately accept the message but give the
collaborative databases (blacklists, razor, DCC, others?) time to react.
If the message ended up annoying any of those lists it might tip its SA
score into the permreject bin.

Looking at the local_scan code etc has been on my todo list for a bit.
If there's interest in this and folks think it's viable/reasonable I
would spend some time on this idea.

Cheers,
Paul

PS Thank you Marc for the work! I'm running the patched, pre-teergrubbe
   code on a couple of boxes.

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is God? A pox on you for asking such a thing!"
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/