[SA-exim] SA-scan compared to exiscan

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:22:18 +0100

Hi Audun, on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:26:39 +0200 you wrote:

> To me, sa-exim and exiscan seems to be doing the same thing,
> except exiscan also does virusscanning, and sa-exim has more fancy
> smtp-reject options like teergrube'ing.....
> Could someone please tell me more about the difference between them?

You've got it about right.  Exiscan does a number of jobs, including
passing messages off to virus scanners, spam scanners and scanning in
other ways. It's fairly configurable, in a fairly high-level sense.
SA-Exim does one thing, does it very well, and offers a lot of options to
do it including granular control over exactly what happens.

For that reason, I've chosen to use both Exiscan and SA-Exim together -
using Exiscan for virus scanning only, and letting SA-Exim handle spam
scanning.  This works fine, because Exiscan patches Exim directly
(effectively duplicating the local_scan() functionality)  and leaves the
local_scan() free for other stuff (such as SA-Exim).

Tim