[SA-exim] SA-scan compared to exiscan

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:10:11 -0700

[Ccing Tom, exiscan author, so that he can correct me if needed]

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 06:26:39PM +0200, Audun Ytterdal wrote:
> I've been using sa-exim on a customers site for a month or two now and
> it works flawlessly. Excellent work!

Thanks.
(teergrube needs to be ironed out a bit, I'm working on that)

> To me, sa-exim and exiscan seems to be doing the same thing,
> except exiscan also does virusscanning, and sa-exim has more fancy
> smtp-reject options like teergrube'ing.....

I don't  know exiscan  in details  but from what  I understand,  it does
virus scanning,  and has the option  of passing on the  mail to sa-exim.
Unless I'm misinformed, exiscan does not do spam checking.

(looking at the web page)

Well, it  looks like  Tom has actually  reimplemented some  of sa-exim's
features into sa-exim, so it used to let you pass on a mail to sa-exim,
but now does something similar internally.  It's not as complete, but it
comes reasonably close.
(there are futher options of what headers to include or not, but if you
don't want some, they'd be trivial to delete from system_filter anyway)

If you  need virus scanning,  you'd definitely  want to go  with exiscan
since I provide none in sa-exim, virii  are not a problem for me, I just
reject anything executable and don't run windows anyway...

If  you just  want to  deal with  spam in  very configurable  ways, then
sa-exim would be a better choice.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:22:18PM +0100, Tim Jackson wrote:
> For that reason, I've chosen to use both Exiscan and SA-Exim together -
> using Exiscan for virus scanning only, and letting SA-Exim handle spam
> scanning.  This works fine, because Exiscan patches Exim directly
> (effectively duplicating the local_scan() functionality)  and leaves the
> local_scan() free for other stuff (such as SA-Exim).

Interesting. Are you talking about exiscan 3?
I thought exiscan 4 went in local_scan, but that Tom gave you the option
to daisy chain sa-exim?