[SA-exim] Re: SA-Exim timeout

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:04:44 +0100

Hi Marc, on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:03:17 -0700 you wrote:

> When do you get the timemout? Are you trying to stall the sender or is
> spamd just taking too long to answer?

I'm not trying to stall the sender, no. The only thing I have enabled at
the moment is permanent rejection over a threshold. I'm not using
tempreject, senderstall, teergrube or anything like that. So it's either
spamd taking too long to answer or something else.  The fact it's just
happened since I upgraded to SA-E2.1 does suggest it's not actually
spamd's fault though, especially since this is on a fairly fast and
lightly-loaded machine, where checks should never time out.

> So the question is when does it not work?
> Is it since you switched to exim 4.10 or a more recent sa-exim?

It's happened to me since I switched to SA Exim 2.1 (from 2.0.1). I've
just grepped my logs and it definitely never happened before yesterday. I
don't think it's Exim, because I've been running 4.10 for months.

Having said that, my current troubles seem to be with one particular
message, so that might suggest there's something in the message which is
causing spamd to choke.

It's not something to do with this is it? Newly introduced with 2.1, and I
don't quite follow it: (from sa-exim.c)

/* How much message body you want to feed to SA.
   We'll feed spamc a slightly larger message than it it's willing to
   process so that spamc decides that it's not going to process the
   message vs spamc getting a truncated message */

I'm going to enable SA-E debugging and hope the trouble message gets
retried shortly and I can give some more clues.

Tim