[SA-exim] Re: SA-Exim

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:15:50 -0700

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 04:22:58PM +0100, Tim Jackson wrote:
> So it looks like it's working for now. I'd still like to find a better
> solution really, because from some quick tests I did, it seemed like spamc
> actually didn't totally ignore messages larger than the limit, but did
> still give them a score (presumably based on the part of the mail that is
> under that limit). I could be wrong though, and having said that, the
> machine I'm working on (SA2.43) seems to be ignoring messages greater than
> the size:
>
> $ spamc -c <problem.msg
> 0/0

Right. Spamc will ignore a message that's too big and not scan half of
it. The reason is that its mime decoding code fails if the whole message
isn't fed to SA

> I'm pretty sure at home it was getting a score though. But maybe I'm
> confused.

My code used to truncate the message to be right at the limit spamc used
to accept. This was reported as a bug (rightfully so): I had intended to
feed a partial message to spamc, but SA would give a score to perfectly
good message because the mime decoding failed.
I fixed that for SA 2.1 by having SA truncate the message to right under
the spamc limit, but in return,  we found out that spamc started hanging
when we fed it a message that was bigger than it was willing to accept.

So, when I release SA 2.2, I plan to offer:
- not pass message bigger than samaxbody to spamc
- truncate message to less than samaxbody (but you'll have to modify
  SA to not give a score for messages with no mime ending)