[SA-exim] Marking up of identified spam - report_safe

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Thu Apr 17 12:14:45 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 07:35:54PM +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> > > Could someone let me know how it handles a recent SA (ie 2.50 or later)
> > > working in report_safe mode (where a new message is created for
> > > identified spam, and the original message is attached as a mail/rfc822
> > > component).
> >
> > There is no support for that.
>
> Beg your pardon? This is a spamd/local.cf feature. If SA-Exim lets spam
> through ('cos it doesn't reject it), then spamd does this. It's got
> nothing to do with SA-Exim, then.

Right, but if you configure spamd with report_safe when SA-Exim runs it,
SA-Exim isn't able to get the SA info out of it from what people wrote
(which makes sense if SA puts the SA headers inside the attached message
and not the wrapper message. I have to upgrade to SA 2.50, but haven't had
the time to do so yet)

> Should mention I use SA 2.60-CVS and choose to smtp 550 reject spam at
> smtp time, if the score is high enough.

Right. That's what I do too and most people who use SA-Exim do since this is
the main appeal of my program.

> I only chose SA-Exim over Exiscan originally, because "Marc Merlin" is
> such a fantastic name. So I tried it out, and one happy bunny.

ROFTL :-)))

But seriously, SA-Exim offers more spam rejection and handling features than
exiscan, but obviously exiscan offers virus scanning, so exiscan is a better
choice for people who want both.
My understanding too is that if you want the best of both worlds, you can
patch exim to do exiscan, and also run SA-Exim in local_scan.