[SA-exim] Debian package of SA-Exim 2.2

Nicolas Marchildon nicolas at marchildon.net
Tue Feb 11 06:07:43 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 01:09, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I am loathe to release sa-exim 2.3 without actually using it on my system,
> and I haven't had the time to work on exim 4.12 and sa-exim 2.3 lately.
> sa-exim 2.3 also has a minor bug with X-SA-Exim-Rcpt-To: if you have
> hundreds of receipients in a mail.
> sa-exim 2.2cvs fixes that, and I think you have that.

Well, I guess I can live with that :)

> The 4.10 package should be fine, and you can compile sa-exim yourself
> and drop it in /usr/lib/exim4/
>
> > For example, with exim 4.10, after having fixed debian/EDITME.diff, it
> > started building exim, but failed here:
> >
> > /bin/rm -f auths.a
> > ar cq auths.a b64encode.o b64decode.o call_pam.o call_pwcheck.o
> > call_radius.o xtextencode.o xtextdecode.o get_data.o md5.o cram_md5.o
> > plaintext.o pwcheck.o auth-spa.o spa.o
> > ranlib auths.a
> > /bin/rm -rf ../drtables.o
> > make[3]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/nicolas/download/exim-4.10/build-Linux-i386/auths'
> >
> > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `lookups/lookups.a', needed by
>
> Ah.
> That's a problem with the exim makefile
> It actually fails earlier, probably with postgres because debian
> changed/renamed the postgres packages recently.
> If you look up the build log, you'll see the real error.
>
> If you edit EDITME.diff to remove postgres support, I'm fairly sure the
> build will work.

Ok, I removed LOOKUP_PGSQL and it then failed in the same way with
mysql, so I removed LOOKUP_MYSQL too. Then it failed with ldap, so I
removed LOOKUP_LDAP. Then ld complained about missing -lldap, so I
apt-get installed libldap2-dev (I already had libldap2). Then ld
complained about -lmysqlclient, so I installed libmysqlclient10-dev.
Then -lpq, so I installed postgresql-dev.

Then, ha! something interesting ;)

cd debian/sa-exim; /usr/bin/make
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/nicolas/download/sa-exim'
Building sa-exim-2.2.x-cvs.so
gcc -I../../src -DDLOPEN_LOCAL_SCAN
-DSPAMASSASSIN_CONF=\"/etc/exim/spamassassin.conf\"
-DSPAMC_LOCATION=\"/usr/bin/spamc\" -O2 -Wall -shared -o
sa-exim-2.2.x-cvs.so sa-exim.c
sa-exim.c:31: local_scan.h: No such file or directory
sa-exim.c:361: warning: #warning you should not worry about the "might
be clobbered by longjmp", see source
make[1]: *** [sa-exim-2.2.x-cvs.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nicolas/download/sa-exim'
make: *** [build] Error 2

However:

cortex:/home/nicolas/download/exim-4.10# find -name local_scan.h
./src/local_scan.h
./build-Linux-i386/local_scan.h

I had symlinked debian inside exim-4.10 to ../debian, so instead, I
copied debian inside the exim dir.

And it worked :)

I just had to install spamassassin on my test box, enable it in
/etc/default/spamassassin, removed the -c option (dunno why, but it does
not work otherwise), and successfully injected a big message into my
system:

2003-02-11 00:41:59 18iTB9-0004VV-00 SA: SATruncBodyCond expand
returned: '0'
2003-02-11 00:41:59 18iTB9-0004VV-00 SA: check skipped due to message
size (374356 bytes) and SATruncBodyCond expanded to false

What's planned about that size limitation? Will spamc ever raise its
limit? Will they make the ending-mime-boundary check optional so I can
safely enable SATruncBodyCond?

> I'll try to get my exim4 4.12 package out soon, and I'll probably make the
> sa-exim package separate for the benefit of the exim4debian folks.

That would be great. I'm planning to spread the word about teergrubbing
and general, and sa-exim in particular. I really like the idea of
"playing" with spammers almost directly :)

> There was some discussion on the exim4debian list (people putting out a real
> exim4 package), and sa-exim will be packaged separately, which will
> alleviate some of these problems.

Glad to hear it!

> > I also noticed that the debian tree was not stored in CVS, which was
> > probably just from lack of time. It would be great if that was in CVS if
> > we are going to modify it (update EDITME.diff). It could simply be a
> > separate module in the current sa-exim repository.
>
> Well, my exim4 debian package works, but it's not a work of art, and story
> its debian tree in the sa-exim CVS tree isn't really appropriate, they
> are technically separate.
> I'm sure than 75% of the sa-exim users don't use debian, a few don't even
> use linux, so an exim4 debian build tree wouldn't have it's place there :)

I was not talking about putting it in the exact same tree, but rather in
a module, so that the regular "cvs checkout sa-exim" would not be
affected, and debian people would have to run something like "cvs
checkout sa-exim-deb".

Anyway, now we have two more up-to-date debian packages: the one
Lawrence made earlier, and mine. Because I removed a few options from
EDITME, I'm not sure mine is the best one for others to play with. I
guess I could put the options back and try to build again, as I probably
installed all the required libraries anyway in the end.

Hmm, I just realized Lawrence did *not* post his link to the
mailing-list for his debian package of exim 4.10 and sa-exim cvs.

So, here are mines, PGP signed (only useful if you trust my key in the
first place ;)

http://marchildon.net/sa-exim/

Nicolas

--
OpenPGP public key:         http://nicolas.marchildon.net/pubkey.txt
Key fingerprint:  5E84 1089 0036 BB63 6997  232C 8FFB 777D 39D4 B2D4