[SA-exim] Who's using teergrubing?

Brian Kendig brian at enchanter.net
Wed Jan 1 14:20:21 2003

I'm curious -- how many people out there are running teergrubes?  And
what do you have your teergrube delay set to?  I'm using eight hours
for mine, and so far I haven't caught more than about twenty spammers
at any one time.

Also, is there any way to keep the size of the spawned exim processes
down while they're teergrubing spammers?  Right now each of my exim
processes is about 600KB resident with a little over 2MB swapped to
disk.  So twenty spammers tie up about twelve megabytes of RAM and over
40MB of disk, and if I ever manage to snare two or three times as many
spammers, it might start making a dent in my server's resources.  Since
the teergrube process is only echoing text over the connection and
writing to the exim log, is there any way to pare it down significantly?

  ____    |\/|                 Brian Kendig   Set your priorities right.
  \  /\   / ..__.    brian at enchanter net   No one ever said on his
   \/  \__\   _/   http://www.enchanter.net/  death bed, "Gee, if I'd
    \__   __  \_      Be insatiably curious.  only spent more time at
       \____\___\           Ask "why" a lot.  the office."