[SA-exim] SA report_safe and sa-exim

Richard Lithvall richard at lithvall.se
Thu Jun 26 13:05:32 PDT 2003

ODHIAMBO Washington wrote:

 >>I really wanted report_safe enabled so I rewrote parts of sa-exim
 >>enabling it to modify the body as well.
 >
 > Hmm, is the body modification an allowed practice? Aren't we going
 > to far?

Do you mean allowed practice as in let exim modify the body or as in let
SA modify the body?

In the Exim case Philip Hazel answered my question like this:
Me> When consulting spec.txt you do not recommend updating the body,
Me> would You mind evolving that a bit (considering my actions)?

Phil> The main reason is just caution/paranoia in case something
Phil> goes wrong.
Phil> However, there is also the fact that certain variables such as
Phil> $body-linecount will be wrong if you change the number of lines.
Phil> Actually, I think that is probably the only one; $message_size is
Phil> re-computed when the message is read for delivery.

In the SA case, consulting the docs:
        report_safe { 0 | 1 | 2 }     (default: 1)
            if this option is set to 1, if an incoming message is
            tagged as spam, instead of modifying the original mes­
            sage, SpamAssassin will create a new report message
            and attach the original message as a message/rfc822
            MIME part (ensuring the original message is completely
            preserved, not easily opened, and easier to recover).

...makes at least me confident modifying the body.

Judge for yourself.

/Richard