[SA-exim] Postmaster question

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Fri May 16 11:41:42 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:48:50AM +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

> SA-Exim by default lets all mail, including spam, to postmaster at mydomain
> through. I reject all spam above 7.0 at smtp time with an smtp 550.
> However, I send a polite note with it that mail to postmaster will be
> accepted, if we've made a mistake. The result is, that the spammer
> (where he has a real address and sees this) sends his spam to postmaster
> :-/

Do you provide the full e-mail address of postmaster, or just the local-part
(to be qualified by the sender with an ounce of clue)? I can believe that
spammers automatically scan bounces for valid e-mail addresses, but not that
they'd read them manually, in which case just providing the local part (ie:
"please e-mail postmaster at this domain if this is a mistake") should have
the desired effect.

> So, I want postmaster's mail scanned and rejected too, if it's spam. the
> rfc282* says this would be wrong of me. What do you think?

I'd avoid it if possible, but if you have to maybe think about putting a
higher threshold on for it?

Cheers,

Dom.