[SA-exim] Upgrade to SA-Exim 3.0 from 2.2

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Mon May 26 11:17:59 PDT 2003

man, 26.05.2003 kl. 11.25 skrev Tim Jackson:

> I have a spec file which includes an option for SA-Exim on
> http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/exim.php - I haven't updated it to 4.20/SA3
> yet but it shouldn't require a big change.

I'll have a look :-)

> > I use rpms as little as possible.
>
> OK, without wanting to wander too much OT, I've been wondering about this
> for a while :) Is your distaste only for pre-built binary RPMs? Otherwise,
> I can't see the disadvantage  - if you build yourself an RPM from source,
> it's just the same as installing from source normally - except that you
> get things nicely packaged and database-indexed...?

I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world; I can see
that to do mass-admin with as little fuss as possible, I'm going to have
to make my own rpms (since I'm a Red Hat person.)

My aversion stems from years ago when I was an SCO sysadmin and had to
put up with SCO's (and later Sun Micro's) upgrade policy - waiting
literally years for useful package upgrades. Then again, I don't want
all the old (literally) shit that Red Hat dictates I should have, with
dependencies that are later irreversible. I almost always use latest
stable releases of all stuff that I specialize in - and RH wants me to
use old stuff, which I don't want and can't remove later.

> The day when I learnt how to build RPMs from source and make my own specs
> solved a problem I'd personally felt a need to solve for a long time :)

Yeah - just before I read this, a colleague of mine screamed this into
my telephone ear and we'll be doing something about it this week -
already :-)

> Especially if you've got lots of patches etc. to programs (e.g. SA-Exim,
> Exiscan, custom message patches etc.) - building with specs is verging on
> a self-documenting system, at least for the compilation/installation
> stage...and you can be sure you know where all the files are headed!

O.k., I'll learn. Satisfied now? ;)

Best,

Tony

--