[SA-exim] Side-effect involving mailing lists

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 16 12:27:58 PST 2003

I'll admit to being a bit lazy in this, so feel welcome to tell me "Read
Your Friendly exim4.conf File" or "Read the Friendly Pipermail Archive"
-- but this might at least be mildly entertaining.

I _love_ sa-exim's teergrubing -- even though there are some unintended
consequences with relayed mail in sundry forms (backup MX, mailing
lists).

1.  The first couple of days after converting to sa-exim, I realised
I was tarpitting my main backup MX, Richard Couture's myrddin.imat.com:
Richard clings to an old-school "all mail is sacred" admin philosophy,
was relaying large amounts of spam, and accordingly was getting
"451 Please try again later" upon attempting redelivery.

When I realised this, I wrote Richard to thank him for years of generous
help and discontinued all backup MX service.  (Speculation:  The notion
of backup MXes will be collateral damage in the spam war:  Unless all your
MXes use the same antispam policy, they'll tend to sanction one another.)

2.  Similarly, I've noticed my system teergrubing spam-permissive
mailing lists: