[SA-exim] Side-effect involving mailing lists

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun Nov 16 23:15:31 PST 2003

Rick Moen wrote:

> I'll admit to being a bit lazy in this, so feel welcome to tell me "Read
> Your Friendly exim4.conf File" or "Read the Friendly Pipermail Archive"
> -- but this might at least be mildly entertaining.

[...]

> What I'm curious about is:  What's a reasonable way to deal with this
> problem?  I'm tempted to label the "problem" serendipitous, and conclude
> that spam-permissive listadmins _should_ be teergrubed into oblivion,
> but what do people do for spam-permissive mailing lists they want to
> read, not get spam from, and not get thrown off on account of teergrubing
> them?

Thanks for a witty and amusing piece.Though I was ensnared by SA-Exim's
teergrubing at first, I found out that using it simply goes paired with
that feeling of gratification it gives. In the end I found that it
causes more mutual harm than good, though.

Just make sure that you don't subscribe to mailing lists that also use
gmane or whatever to publish to usenet - at least not with your regular
email address and the strategy you've outlined. The Swen and Mimail
hords are far much more worth worrying about than the odd mailing-list
spam - and you can't teergrube anyone who cares who's sending you those
bots. You court them by visiting dirty places, or if you're a Windows
ingenue, you just click.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw