[SA-exim] Anyone install from Debs?

Tor Slettnes tor at slett.net
Wed Sep 3 18:34:27 PDT 2003

On Saturday, Aug 30, 2003, at 08:00 US/Pacific, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

>    I installed exim-4.20 from source and rewrote local_scan.c with
> sa-exim.c and that works fine.

Why?  If you are using Debian 'unstable', implied below, then simply
install the 'exim4-daemon-light' (or '..-heavy', if you wish) package,
and the 'sa-exim' .deb on top of it.

The 'exim4-*' packages in debian include the 'localscan_dlopen' patch
from merlins.org, and so will allow the sa-exim ".so" to perform the
local_scan() function.  You don't need to rebuild the exim4 package
yourself.

>    However, doing apt-get dist-upgrade causes apt to want to install
> exim, which of course I do not want.

Right.  Make sure you have 'exim4' installed as a package, not simply
by 'make install' from the source archive.

>    That leaves me with a few solutions. I grabbed Debian's sources for
> exim-4.22 and built that and created the .debs for it. Installing those
> .debs throws me for a loop in that I can't quite figure out where the
> config files are (i put in blanks during the curses config screens).
> Has
> anyone built exim-4.2x from source for Debian and installed sa-exim
> with
> it?

I presume you are using 'dpkg-buildpackage' to do this?  If so, and you
get any questions at all, that is probably a bug in 'debian/rules' or
similar.

(Even if you are using woody, I presume 'dpkg-buildpackage' has support
for build-depends, and so you would get a message if you did not have
all packages required to build exim4...)

(No, I haven't tried to rebuild exim4 -- but then again, why?)

>   My next question is OT but somewhat related. Assuming I decide to
> just
> go with my from source install without created debs, is there a way to
> tell apt-get to ignore the install of exim? I know how to hold back a
> package for upgrade but is there a way to hold back a package for
> installation?

Debian _requires_ the virtual package 'mail-transport-agent'.  You need
something that provides this virtual package; maybe install something
like 'ssmtp' and disable its 'init.d' script?

Anyway, bad idea methinks.