[SA-exim] Anyone install from Debs?

simon at nuit.ca simon at nuit.ca
Thu Sep 4 05:08:06 PDT 2003

> On Saturday, Aug 30, 2003, at 08:00 US/Pacific, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
>

> Why?  If you are using Debian 'unstable', implied below, then simply
> install the 'exim4-daemon-light' (or '..-heavy', if you wish) package,
> and the 'sa-exim' .deb on top of it.
>
> >    However, doing apt-get dist-upgrade causes apt to want to install
> > exim, which of course I do not want.

i had to do that for a while when the only thing in debian for exim4 was
4.11 source and x86 .debs.

> Debian _requires_ the virtual package 'mail-transport-agent'.  You need
> something that provides this virtual package; maybe install something
> like 'ssmtp' and disable its 'init.d' script?

there's a pseudo-package just for this kind of thing.. /me checks..
equivs. you just set up equivs for MTA. nothing so messy.

eric

> Anyway, bad idea methinks.

> End of SA-Exim Digest, Vol 60, Issue 1

##-----------------------------------------------------------------##
| ,''`.   http://www.debian.org/  | http://www.nuit.ca/             |
| : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux        | http://simonraven.nuit.ca/      |
| `. `'                           | PGP key ID: 6169 BE0C 0891 A038 |
Due to the directive validating Software Patents[1] that will be voted
on at the European Parliament[2], I have decided to protest.
Citizens whose nations are part of the European Parliament -- please sign the
Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe[3]
[1] http://swpat.ffii.org/
[2] http://www.europarl.eu.int/
[3] http://petition.eurolinux.org/