[SA-exim] sa-exim with Exim4 + Debian (Sarge)

Dickenson, Steven sdickenson at keyschool.org
Thu Apr 29 11:35:41 PDT 2004

Sander Smeenk wrote:
> Packages are not allowed to modify configuration files, especially not
> configuration files from other packages. Atleast, that is what I was
> told.

I don't know.  The PHP module packages write to the php.ini file installed
from the general php-cgi or php-cli package.  In addition, some packages
write to the Apache configuration file.

> I'm not sure about the situation now, but when I installed the exim4
> packages, I couldn't choose wether I wanted a single monolithic
> configuration file, or a split config, so it was a deliberate choice
> of myself to put /etc/exim4/exim4.conf in place and ingore the
> conf.d/* structure.

The Exim 4 packages prompt (at least as of 4.2), and the default is
monolithic.  If your level of prompting from dpkg isn't high enough, this
could be why you didn't see it.  I built my own Debian package of sa-exim
(for Woody) using Marc's source tree.  It placed the single
15_sa-exim_plugin_path file into the conf.d structure.  Not sure if your
package does that.

> I thought about adding a little check to see if /etc/exim4/exim4.conf
> exists, and if so, wether or not local_scan_path was configured
> correctly.  If not, print out a warning or send a message or
> something.

You can determine what type of configuration is being used by reading the
value of dc_use_split_config from /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.  Based
on that, you could either drop the file into conf.d or prompt to add the
plugin path line to the monolithic config.  You should then probably call
update-exim4.conf and SIGHUP the daemon.  This of course all depends if
policy allows you to modify the Exim 4 configuration file.

Steven
---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson at keyschool.org>
Network Administrator