[SA-exim] exim 4 conf

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Fri Jan 30 02:14:33 PST 2004

I find this response extremely offensive; I provide GPL'd software myself
(http://speedtouchconf.sf.net),
and get
some questions which seem pretty dumb to me, but I don't give this kind of
answer.
The "dumb" questions I get are from people who don't know everything I
know - which is why I wrote the thing in the first place. It's not there
to change the world, just to make life a little easier for those who want
things to "just work". That's my contribution. And when people have
problems with it, I try to help them.
So far as I can tell, this response isn't even from the author, just some
user of the software. That's some nerve.

I'm looking at integrating SpamAssassin into my Exim config; if this is
the level of support, I will have to think again. I assumed that,
being a Free Software project, sensible questions would get sensible
answers.
I have to answer to my management.
I'm not just playing a game with my ADSL line, I actually want to get
something done. I am postmaster for about a dozen domains, and want get to
get stuff done. I honestly thought that sa-exim would be a way to get it
done. Obviously I was wrong.

I can use GNU tools, Exim, openssl, openssh, Apache, mod_ssl, php, etc,
and still answer to management.
If I'm going to get this kind of response to a civil question, I can't use
this tool with credibility. Not all F/OSS projects are created equal.
I am a rabid advocate of F/OSS; this particular project, it seems, is one
of those "anyone can publish F/OSS" counter-examples.

I have been having difficulty building this tool; if I am only going to
get abuse having installed it, I do not intend to continue down this line.
I find this extremely disappointing; I expected, that using a F/OSS tool
with a mailing list, I would have some support, not "it seems this
software is not for you".

Please, somebody (preferably Marc) assure me that this isn't the level of
support I'll get for using this tool.

Steve Parker
steve at steve-parker.org