[SA-exim] local_scan_path option error

J. S. Greenfield greeny at cv.net
Fri Jan 30 08:48:52 PST 2004

No, I'm not saying the patch doesn't work, and I have not tried the
patch on Solaris.  (Though I seem to recall a disclaimer that the patch
had only been tested on Linux.)

To be clear, I'm talking about the patch to dynamically-load a
local_scan module, here.  On Solaris I have statically-linked the
sa-exim local_scan module, and found that it worked fine.

My erorr on the Linux install of the dynamic-link patch was that I tried
to shortcut the process by copying my existing Solaris Local/Makefile,
and then editing it -- not realizing that the patch was modifying the
source for the makefile, adding options to handle the dynamic linking.
So the error was entirely mine.

As for testing and Solaris...look, it's freely available, open source
software.  Already having it tested and officially blessed for all
systems would be wonderful, but should hardly be a bar to release.  I
haven't seen comments that it doesn't work on Solaris, and you should
certainly feel free to try it, and test it, to see whether it works, or
requires adjustment.  The investment necessary to apply the patch and
test whether it is working is pretty small.

Regards,

Jonathan