[SA-exim] local_scan is crashing on big messages

Sander Smeenk ssmeenk at freshdot.net
Fri May 14 20:34:34 PDT 2004

Quoting Brian Kendig (brian at enchanter.net):
> I'm running Exim 4.32, SA-Exim 4.0, and SpamAssassin 2.63.

You should consider updating to 4.34 because 4.3{2,3} has a problem
with Received: headers that are missing when the mail is fed to
SpamAssassin.

This has nothing to do with your current problem, afaik, but it is
important because it might cause legit mail to be rejected.

> I have sa-exim.c compiled directly into my Exim mail server; I'm not
> using it as a dynamic module.

Any real good reason not to use the dynamic module? It's much easier to
use the dynamic module, you can enable / disable it at will, and it
doesn't matter in performance.

> Exim's 'mainlog' shows these messages:
> 2004-05-13 03:42:18 HXN6Q2-000I42-2K local_scan() function crashed with
> signal 11 - message temporarily rejected (size 2402302)

Is there anything related to these ID's in the rejectlog and/or paniclog?
I'm not sure what distribution you are using, but spamc/spamd might also
log messages to /var/log/{syslog,messages,mail.log}.

> And so on and so forth. I'm guessing that 2402302 and 3363716 are the
> sizes of the two emails.

They most probably are. I haven't checked, but I can't think of any
other size to display in such an error message ;)

> Is this a known problem, a config issue, or can I provide any
> additional debugging info?

Tried sending a large message to yourself? Updating exim, spamassassin
and/or sa-exim? Tried running spamc by hand on a very large file?
Try running exim4 in debug mode, strace -f the process, etc, etc. :)

Sander.