[SA-exim] local_scan is crashing on big messages

Brian Kendig brian at enchanter.net
Fri May 14 15:09:49 PDT 2004

> You should consider updating to 4.34 because 4.3{2,3} has a problem
> with Received: headers that are missing when the mail is fed to
> SpamAssassin.

Thanks for the tip.  I found 4.34 on the download site, but the main
Exim page still says that 4.32 is the latest version - is the Exim home
page wrong, or is 4.34 a pre-release version?

> Any real good reason not to use the dynamic module? It's much easier to
> use the dynamic module, you can enable / disable it at will, and it
> doesn't matter in performance.

I'm using Mac OS X, and a year or so ago when I tried to use the
SA-Exim dynamic module, it wouldn't work.  I seem to remember there was
a library missing, and Marc said that Mac OS X didn't appear to support
dynamic modules yet.  I don't remember the details.  I'll try it again
after I get this problem fixed.

>> Exim's 'mainlog' shows these messages:
>> 2004-05-13 03:42:18 HXN6Q2-000I42-2K local_scan() function crashed
>> with
>> signal 11 - message temporarily rejected (size 2402302)
>
> Is there anything related to these ID's in the rejectlog and/or
> paniclog?
> I'm not sure what distribution you are using, but spamc/spamd might
> also
> log messages to /var/log/{syslog,messages,mail.log}.

The same exact lines appear in both the mainlog and the rejectlog, but
nothing relevant appears in the paniclog:

# grep HXP86L-000KXM-2Y mainlog rejectlog paniclog
mainlog:2004-05-14 06:08:58 HXP86L-000KXM-2Y local_scan() function
crashed with signal 11 - message temporarily rejected (size 2402302)
rejectlog:2004-05-14 06:08:58 HXP86L-000KXM-2Y local_scan() function
crashed with signal 11 - message temporarily rejected (size 2402302)

> Tried sending a large message to yourself? Updating exim, spamassassin
> and/or sa-exim?

Sending a large message to myself also fails in the same way with
local_scan() crashing.  I'm using the latest releases of SpamAssassin
and SA-Exim, and what I thought was the latest release of Exim; I could
move to the pre-release SpamAssassin 3.0, but I'd rather not be on the
bleeding edge.

> Tried running spamc by hand on a very large file?

That just sends the file back to me via stdout.  If I give spamc the -R
option, it reports "0/0", which I believe means an error occurred, but
I think this is because I don't know the right format of the message to
feed to spamc.  At any rate, spamc isn't crashing.

> Try running exim4 in debug mode, strace -f the process, etc, etc. :)

Not yet, but I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the tips.