[SA-exim] local_scan is crashing on big messages

Sander Smeenk ssmeenk at freshdot.net
Sat May 15 15:16:27 PDT 2004

Quoting Brian Kendig (brian at enchanter.net):

> 28653 calling local_scan(); timeout=300
> 28653 LOG: MAIN REJECT
> 28653   local_scan() function crashed with signal 11 - message
> temporarily rejected (size 4892599)

Nothig special here :(

> # kdump -f ktrace.out
>  28691 exim-4.34-1 RET   select 1
<snap>
>  28691 exim-4.34-1 CALL  select(0x1,0xbffff3b0,0,0,0)

Too bad I can't see anything that indicates a SIGSEGV in this trace.
I bet you know strace, it's easy to point out where the program
segfaulted.

> The mainlog only logs that one "local_scan() function crashed" line,
> but I found out that rejectlog logs more, though it's not particularly
> useful:

rejectlog always logs the full headers of the message it was processing
when it gets rejected.

> If you have any other ideas for things I could try, please let me know!

I'm begining to wonder if the local_scan patch you used still works that
good with Exim 4.34. IIRC it was developed for 4.20, and thereafter
never updated. I'm not sure, Marc could jump in here.

Regards,
Sander.