[SA-exim] local_scan is crashing on big messages

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sat May 15 11:44:11 PDT 2004

(back from a quick trip and home with a good cold, bear with me if the
temperature makes me say stupid things :)

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:56:41PM -0400, Brian Kendig wrote:
> My uncle is trying to send me two emails with vacation pictures, and
> it's crashing sa-exim.
>
> I'm running Exim 4.32, SA-Exim 4.0, and SpamAssassin 2.63.  I have
> sa-exim.c compiled directly into my Exim mail server; I'm not using it
> as a dynamic module.

Which is fine. The dynamic module is more flexible, but patching exim
directly is less complex.

> Is this a known problem, a config issue, or can I provide any
> additional debugging info?

Yep, set SAEximDebug: to 10 in sa-exim.

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 02:09:49PM -0400, Brian Kendig wrote:
> I'm using Mac OS X, and a year or so ago when I tried to use the
> SA-Exim dynamic module, it wouldn't work.  I seem to remember there was
> a library missing, and Marc said that Mac OS X didn't appear to support
> dynamic modules yet.  I don't remember the details.  I'll try it again
> after I get this problem fixed.

More specifically, I must have said that I didn't have the OS dependent
knowledge to help debug dynamic linking on other unixes.
I'm sure it works on MacOS X, but it might require a patch to the makefile
or something.

> >Tried sending a large message to yourself? Updating exim, spamassassin
> >and/or sa-exim?
>
> Sending a large message to myself also fails in the same way with
> local_scan() crashing.  I'm using the latest releases of SpamAssassin

Ok, that's great news, at least you can reproduce at will, it will help a
lot.
See what you get with a debuglevel of 10

> and SA-Exim, and what I thought was the latest release of Exim; I could
> move to the pre-release SpamAssassin 3.0, but I'd rather not be on the
> bleeding edge.

It doesn't matter sa-exim should never crash, regardless of what SA you are
using.

Also, please send me your sa-exim.conf by private mail to see if somehow I
can reproduce on my side (since I haven't had sa-exim crash on my system on
more than a year, regardless of the headers, or huge messages that people
might send me)

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 05:06:57PM -0400, Brian Kendig wrote:
> Mac OS X doesn't have strace, but it does have ktrace, which is similar:
>
> # ktrace -p `cat /var/spool/exim/exim-daemon.pid` -d
>
> (at this point I sent the test message, then turned tracing off and
> looked at the log)

Yeah, that's not extremely useful.
Hopefully debuglevel will help

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 02:16:27PM +0200, Sander Smeenk wrote:
> > If you have any other ideas for things I could try, please let me know!
>
> I'm begining to wonder if the local_scan patch you used still works that
> good with Exim 4.34. IIRC it was developed for 4.20, and thereafter
> never updated. I'm not sure, Marc could jump in here.

It should work, the API is supposed to be stable, but eh, something could
have changed that I don't know about yet.
Also, if it were a change in the local_scan API
1) it would most likely crash on all messages
2) it should also crash on the dynamically loadable local_scan

Marc

PS: I know I need to put out a new sa-exim since I have a few patches
outstanding. Hopefully I'll get to do that after sorting this issue out