[SA-exim] spamassassin's home dir

Paul Makepeace merlins.org at paulm.com
Sat May 22 17:39:25 PDT 2004

I'm sure this is obvious...

I've noticed spamassassin is writing its various bits to
/var/spool/exim4/.spamassassin which is Debian-exim's home dir.

How is it getting this? spamd is started and indeed runs as root via
/etc/init.d/spamassassin. So is it picking up the $HOME via spamc
called via local_scan in exim?

**

To me there is something wrong-feeling about this (probably because it
does actually violate FHS :-) so I did:

  mkdir /var/lib/spamassassin
  chown -R Debian-exim:Debian-exim /var/lib/spamassassin

Changes to /etc/spamassassin/local.cf:

  bayes_path          /var/lib/spamassassin/bayes
  auto_whitelist_path /var/lib/spamassassin

This still leaves ~Debian-exim/.spamassassin/user_prefs being auto-
created which can be stopped by taking out the -c option from
/etc/default/spamassassin

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ................................  http://paulm.com/ecademy

"If causes and effects were interchangeable, then the sun would light up
 your face."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/