[SA-exim] exim not acting on SpamAssassin config

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Tue Dec 19 03:19:35 PST 2006

Please send followups to the list, so that others may give their input too.
And please don't top post.

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 10:57, Paul wrote:
> On 19/12/2006, at 10:03 PM, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> > The header fields with names beginning with X-SA-Exim- are added by
> > SA-Exim
> > before passing the mail to spamc. They have nothing to do with
> > local.cf. When
> > the processed mail comes back, SA-Exim unfortunately can't just
> > replace the
> > entire mail header with a single function call. Instead it checks for
> > X-Spam-* fields and adds those, as well as changing the Subject if
> > it has
> > been rewritten.
> >
> > The only header field that should be affected by "version_tag
> > spike1" is
> > X-Spam-Version. Have you checked that?
> The only X-Spam headers are ones added by other mail servers which
> our mail is fetched from using fetchmail. They do a very bad job of
> filtering. Here are the headers:

> No X-Spam headers from our mail server are added. I know from logs
> that tests are defiantly being performed, also, when I try spamc it
> outputs the correct headers.

It is possible that something fails when spamc is run as the exim user by
SA-Exim. Did you run spamc as Debian-exim when it worked?

Raise the SAEximDebug setting in /etc/exim4/sa-exim.conf, possibly all the way
up to 9. Then, after mail has been received, check your Exim logs for clues.

Magnus Holmgren        holmgren at lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)