[SA-exim] SA-exim issue or SA issue?

Jonathan Armitage jon.armitage at hepworthband.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 12:10:28 PDT 2007

Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> First, I'm seeing an issue where mail tagged as spam by SA-Exim on
> MX2 is tagged again by MX1.  This leads to the rewrite_header being
>  applied twice; once on MX2 and again on MX1.

You need to tell sa-exim on MX1 not to scan mail from MX2.

I do it like this, which is probably not the recommended way:

Set up a hostlist of trusted IPs (trusted_hosts) in your main exim
config file. Then, in your recipient acl, add a suitable header.

# Do not run SpamAssassin on messages from these.
   warn    message           = X-SA-Trusted-Sender: Yes
           hosts             = +trusted_hosts

Then, in sa-exim.conf, define SAEximRunCond like this (should be all on
one line):

SAEximRunCond: ${if and {{def:sender_host_address} \
{!eq {$sender_host_address}{127.0.0.1}} \
{!eq {$h_X-SA-Trusted-Sender:}{Yes}} \
} {1}{0}}

This sets the condition to false (0) for localhost and trusted_hosts,
and true (1) for everyone else.

Of course, I am as paranoid as the next man, and the example is not the
actual header that I use :)

> Secondly, I think this is more about clarification for me:  I see
> some cases where the X-First-Run-Spamscore and the score in the X-
> Spam-Status are different

I'm not quite sure what this means. If you are saying that the SA score
on the two machines differs, there could be a number of reasons---the
Bayes databases are different, an extra DNS blacklist could have kicked
in between the checks, or you might simply be running different rulesets
or are scoring rules differently.

HTH

Jon