[SA-exim] Feature request

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Thu Aug 30 14:12:07 PDT 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007 22:50, Eduardo Diaz Comellas wrote:
> I think it would be very useful if sa-exim could implement another
> action (apart from teergrube), that would consist on closing the
> connection inmediately. This way, if a spammer sends a high scoring
> mail, the connection would be dropped inmediately and he would have no
> time to send more spam.

Unfortunately Exim's local_scan API doesn't support it (see
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch42.html). It's
only possible to accept, permreject and tempreject (with some variations).
You have to submit a feature request (for a LOCAL_SCAN_DROP return code and
the corresponding action) to Exim first. But I doubt that it would be very
effective and/or efficient. By the time SA-Exim is run, the message has
already been transmitted and stored to disk. The spammer doesn't lose much by
having to reconnect. I think it would be better for SA-Exim to write a record
to a file that can be checked in the ACLs in order to stop all further mail
before DATA for some time period.

Magnus Holmgren        holmgren at lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)