[Empeg-general] Re: I've never ripped CD's and I want to do it right

peter@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org peter@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:31:00 GMT

That's a good idea about using my time at work to rip the CD's and then encode them overnight. But how do you get the ID tag information preserved from the rip to the encode if they are two steps?

I get it to rip to a file called "Artist/Album/nn Track.wav", my encoding script converts that to "Artist/Album/nn Track.mp3", and a second script goes through the results and id3 tags them based on filename.

I have a 300 CD jukebox that I can control programatically with Slink-e from Nirvis. The jukebox has digital output and my soundcard has a digital input so, theoretically, I can rip WAV's from the jukebox without ever going to analog.

Now there's interesting. I've got a Slink-e too, but didn't explore that avenue (a) because it wouldn't do scratch correction like EAC or cdparanoia would, and (b) my sound card hasn't got a digital in.

Presumably, one alternative to Slink-e (which I regard as having been obsoleted by the empeg) would be something based on <A HREF="http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/09/20/1738252&mode=thread" target="_new">this technology</A>...

        Peter