[ExtractStream] Storing Tivo Video using DIVX

Kyle Davenport kdd at o...
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:07:24 -0600

xyombie wrote:

> I have read several posts on this message board about people using
> DIVX to store their Tivo movies. I went to DIVX.com to find more
> information about the DIVX format. According to
> http://www.divx.com/support/what.php , the DIVX codec is so advanced
> that it can reduce an MPEG-2 video to ten percent of it's original
> size.

It's true. I used mpeg2divx under linux. I was careful not to resize
or change audio format - perhaps you're introducing interpolation
errors. Results for me are about 10% of the original size. Amazing
that it could retain so much image quality, but does introduce motion
artifacts, loss of contrast, and requires a lot of cpu power to
decode.(>1GHz athlon)