more dumb questions

David Gerdes dpgerdes at r...
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 02:34:40 -0500 (CDT)

As for my previous question about splitting streams onto multiple
CDs. It looks like the -S option to mpeg2enc is the right answer.
It would follow that mplex should do the right thing at the right place
in the audio stream.

My next dumb question is scaling of video. My 'best quality' recordings
on tivo are coming out as 240x240 pixels. I have tried playing
with the -a option on mpeg2enc with no success. My Panasonic DVD
player always shows the video with a square aspect and thus the image
is severely squeezed horizontally.

WinDVD on the other hand consistantly displays it at the correct aspect
ratio.

Do I need to throw out the Panasonic or is there something I can do
to make it look right?

I have also tried using yuvscaler, but that doesn't 'upscale'. I will
consider hacking that code, but there seems no point in adding redundant
pixels to the datastream if I can avoid it.

This must have come up before as it looks like recordings on 'basic quality'
come out as 176x240 pixels, which explains why dvdview and my
panasonic displays it very narrow and tall.

What am I missing?

--
David