TMPGEnc and video control

kthomas@p... kthomas at p...
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 05:07:40 -0000

When I convert the separate streams into a .mpeg with tmpgenc, there
is no slider control or ff/rw when playing the file. It is also
impossible to convert it again with virtualdub which reports a packing
error (though it plays under WMP just fine).

Is there some way to get the slider working? Does another piece of
software perform the integration OK? Do I have to use mplex under
Linux (not a big probnlem but I'd like to know before trying)?

Something tells me I might be learning a lot more about mpeg data than
I was intending to in the near future.

BTW, for a newer version of extractstream, I would recommend that a
server be placed on the Tivo which simply serves up pieces of the
stream to the client as requested. If the streams are stored as
blocks, the client should request blocks directly. This would allow
the transfer to be slowed sufficiently that it would not (hopefully)
impact the normal operation of the Tivo (as ExtractStream does at the
moment even at nice 20)

Rich