[ExtractStream] Re: Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

Dale Reed daler at n...
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:52:49 -0700

Kyle Davenport wrote:

> which says, "if a packet hits the firewall's port 8080 forward to this
> host on the internal network at port 80." Of course I can't leave that
> open because there's no authentication on the web-server now.

You wouldn't want to either. A DOS on your tivo is quite easy to
accomplish if ANY services are open to the public. Nothing like
watching a show an suddenly it studders, pauses, and then your
tivo reboots. :(

> > If I could extract a stream I'd tell you how fast my nfs is... (hint-
> need hint!)
>
> Did you try what I posted? Shocked and amazed - the netcat (nc) just
> now worked for me. I don't know what the deal was before - a blocked
> port maybe? It was about 3x faster than nfs or 600Kps.

I can pull 950K/sec with netcat. None of the other ones even come clost
to its performance. Thats why most solutions like tympeg and netmplex
use it as their transport.

Dale