Splitstream and constant sequence issues

joe666boxer@y... joe666boxer at y...
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:55:08 -0000

So far two people (cerevant and willieb9000) have reported what
appears to be continuous sequence errors.
Both the audio and video streams on the tivo have a sequence
associated with them. For illustration's sake, let's say the sequence
for video is v1, v2, v3, ... and the a1, a2, a3, ... for audio.

I can think of three scenarios that can cause this:

1) there is a bug in splitstream. I can't reproduce the condition, so
it's very difficult for me to debug that.

2) Somehow a chunk is missing. Maybe extractstream didn't get a chunk.
So the stream looks like v1,v2,v3,v5,v6,v7,... splitstream is
expecting v4 after v3, but it will never get v4, so everything gets
ignored.

3) Somehow extractstream is mixing two streams from two programs. It's
very unlikely that the sequence from one video will match that of
another, and therefore, the secondary stream is discarded.

Both the above scenarios may be bugs in extractstream.

But there is hope! The last argument to splitstream is the name of a
file to put bad chunks into. Please try using that argument:

splitstream program.ty program.m2a program.m2v bad.ty

and then try to split bad.ty:

splitstream bad.ty bad.m2a bad.m2v bad2.ty

I'm hoping that you will not get continuous sequence mismatch again.
Please try this and let me know.

Thanks
Joe