SplitStream 0.3 and other utils

joe666boxer@y... joe666boxer at y...
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:54:16 -0000

> Overall i've had great success with splitstream .3.

Great.

> I find my self
> having to rerun splitstream on the bad streams.

So I hope you have many streams that are not bad.

> on an ! hour tv show i had to do this 6 times. it went something like
>
> splitstream 1.tiv 1.m2a 1.m2v 1.bad
> splitstream 1.bad 1a.m2a 1a.m2v 1a.bad
> splitstream 1a.bad 1b.m2a 1b.m2v 1b.bad
> ... etc (about 6 times)
> I do this until i have a bad stream that i can't extract anymore video
> out of.

This should be a last resort, not something you have to do all the time.

> (The last bad stream i have is a 128KB file that won't extract anymore
> if you want i can send it to you )

There is always junk at the end, so no, that file is not very interesting.

> one interesting thing thou about mid way into the process i noticed
that
> one of the resulting m2v and m2a files was VERY SMALL so i took a peek
> at it and and low and behold it was from a DIFFERENT TV show i had
> previously deleted a while back.

This seems to be the most typical symptom of bad streams. This is
clearly a problem in extractstream (as long as the show works on the
tivo itself). Have you tried the extractstream in tympeg.zip or the
one from cvs?

Let's take this discussion offline. I'll send you an email.

> If i don't use dvd2avi
> tmpgenc crashes on my system.

dvd2avi is very robust against bad streams.

Thanks for the feedback

Joe.