[ExtractStream] Re: SplitStream 0.3 and other utils

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 11:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- joe666boxer@y... wrote:
> > > The time estimates that splitstream displays are it's best
> guess
> > as to
> > > the time offset between the audio and video. It displays two
> > values;
> > > typical output looks like:
> > >
> > > estimated audio delay from first video -174.600000 ms
> > > estimated audio delay from earliest video -107.855556 ms

This looks *cool* - but I don't think TMPGenc can offset video -- if
it can, I dunno how. I'm just a beginner at this video thing...

Haven't figured out nandub yet, either - it's about totally opposite
from TMPGenc, so it seems to take some learning...

I have, however, gotten a "decent" looking SVCD from TMPGenc & Nero -
there's a couple files you need to download to patch Nero to the
latest version (5.5.5.1, methinks) & an upgraded DLL to fix some
broken SVCD MPEG encoding. There's also a 1K file called scandata.dat
that you need to download and when you burn a [S]VCD you need to copy
that to the "EXT" folder that pops up in Nero when you tell it to
burn an [S]VCD.

Go here for more info:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/nerosvcd.htm

There's also a bitrate calculator link that's really handy -- it's
Java, but there's also a downloadable version that runs in your
browser from your hard drive, so you don't need to be online to use
it.

Bookmark the page - it doesn't print well (either that, or Nutscrape
6.1 isn't talking well to my QMS magicolor 2 PostScript color laser
-- which is possible...)

Just for info, my TMPGenc settings are:

Tivo: High quality - 480x480 resolution,
CBR encoding, 2100kbit/sec
29.97fps.
(I tried the 25fps first to make the file smaller (so I could up the
kbit/sec) and altho the file looked allright on my 1Ghz P3, when I
played it on my Apex 500w DVD player, it was *quite* jerky. :-( )

DeInterlace (Double)
Clip frame: Top:2 Bottom:2 Left:6 Right:0

>The clock
> seems to tick 0x1950 for every 36 ms. I've converted a couple of
> streams since I added that feature and it seems one of those values
> is
> very close to the actual offset. I'm looking for feedback on this.

I'll start testing myself - I just burned my first video & the audio
was off - by a constant. I'm not a "super-stickler" about this stuff,
but it was noticable enough to make the show not as enjoyable
(especially as I haven't seen it yet...) The show was: Enterprise
(Fight or Flight), so there was a fair amount of action in it. I've
read a couple places that VBR encoding isn't so good on stuff like
that, but I've not tested it myself.

[super-good info snippety]
> Thanks for the field test. I wish more people would try it out.

I've just downloaded it & will try it this weekend on my next show.
I'll do my best to keep y'all posted here.

Oh, the latest version of httpd.tcl that came with your upgraded
extractstream & splitstream is better WRT FSID's, but is still odd.
Nutscrape 6.1 doesn't seem to like it at all, but IE5 did allright...
and it gave me the FSID's of that "on the fly" recording I made that
previously didn't give my any info at all... the first time. When I
refreshed the page, the info was gone again! Weird....... but
thankfully I had the presence of mind to cut&paste the text out of
the browser, so I have the FSID's! :-)

Thanks for all your hard work -- Kudos to you!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger