Splitstream Survey

billyb111b@y... billyb111b at y...
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:29:23 -0000

I guess Ill chime in here, because Im having some strange problems
and some that seem to follow with rest. I just started playing with
splitstream two days ago.

My setup, Philips 30 hour, A drive 80 gig Maxtor (TivoMadded) Bdrive
60 gig Maxtor. ExtractStream modded from tympeg package, latest SS.

I ES'd a one hour Band of Brothers at High Quality (I belive high
records at 576x480?) I ran SS on the tys. The trend was:
245megs (or therabout) good data m2a and m2v(about 10 min)
300k of junk (strange clips of things some recorded, some not) (I
know I never recorded a Pauly Shore movie!)
as I reprocessed the out of sequence tys, the cycle would repeat.
245 megs good
200 k bad

So all my odd m2v's were good (245 megs each)
and the evens were bad
A 1.8 gig ty was chopped into 7 good m2v/m2a parts.

The strange part follows:

The m2v files played perfectly in WinDVD (correct Aspect ratio)
but DVD2AVI thinks they are 352x480 and chops off 30% of the right
side of the image. So all the AFAPI apps think its 352 as well

This also leads to screwed up B and P frames so the TMPEG reencoding
gets all screwed up (big green macroblocks littering the right side)

Im going to try ES some other streams tonight and hope for a better
result. anyone else see anything like this?