Explanation of records in ty chunks?

Ken Hancock hancockks at y...
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:25:59 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "Trevor Sky Garside" <trevor@t...> wrote:
> > > I have a feeling its not 100% correct. Since your tivo
obivously
> > > works with the MFS tools, I'm suspecting ES rather than the
MFStools
> > > as the core problem.
> >

> > Whoa! You have it reversed! Mine WAS working 100% PRIOR to
using MFS
> > Tools. Now that I've done a MFS Restore, I haven't had a single
good
> > extraction -- it's extracting random programs!
>
> I think what was meant by the above statement is that the TiVo
software has
> no problems playing back the MFS tools restored data, so the
restore isn't
> the problem. The problem is ExtractStream not being as smart as
the TiVo
> software.

You're probably right... Although I'd like to get back to
extracting, maybe I should leave my system as-is for now to help with
testing tools. *sigh*

Here's a though -- has anyone thought of using tcl to access the
actual tyStreams? Going through tcl would eliminate any dependency
on the underlying mfs structure. Is it possible? This idea occurred
to me after looking at a snddump tcl file which extracted sound files
from the TiVo.