[ExtractStream] Sequence number bogus errors (FAQ?)

David Ranch dranch at t...
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:23:59 -0700

>> TiVo keeps 2 separate streams vor video and audio.
>> ExtractStream does not
>> multiplex them on TiVo side; they are "shipped" in separate
>> packets over the
>> netweork.

ExtractStream DOES offer this mode but the resulting file
doesn't work. I should try playing around with the "-p"
flag but the docs say is it isn't tested very much.
Has anyone played with this flag under ExtractStream?

>This means one of 2 things: problem in the network
>layer, or problem in the means it pulls the video off. I'm leaning towards
>the second as more probible.

NFS does use UDP which isn't a reliable transport but
things usually work just fine. Considering that
ExtractStream itself is complaining about Bogus frames, etc.
tells me that it cannot pull the data off the Tivo. This
could be a due to data read retries or something else.
Who knows.

Ultimately, I think the Tivo deals with these errors just by just
ignoring the bad data and moving on. Since the Tivo has a
sync between the video and audio (they are streaming in at the
same rate), there isn't any form of a sync issue if a few frames
are dropped. BUT.. when muxing the m2a and m2v files to some other
machine, there CAN be sync issues as this media is now just two
different files on some hard drive. The element of "arrival time"
of he incoming frames is lost.

If ExtractStream could pad out these errors when writing the files
.. this could fix our sync issue.

>>just a FYI, there is a very simple fix for the audio sync issue. If
>>anyone wants it let me know.>
>
>>MP
>
>Still waiting for Michael Pauley's thoughts on this.

Me too!

--David
| David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware dranch@t... |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'