[ExtractStream] Re: Where to get Convertstream for windows

Dale E. Reed Jr. daler at n...
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:43:10 -0700

> Thanks for the quick reply andy -- I am looking at virtualdub now --
> Used it a while back, but had to get the newest version. I'll let you
> know how my progress is going -- I am just glad someone is alive on
> these forums. ANy idea on convertstream for windows? Using
> extractstream really doesnt give good results --- while we are on
> that topic, am I right that extract stream does not just send the
> files over on ethernet, but rather sorta "plays" them over, so that
> if your connection is slower for some reason you are gonna get a
> crappy version on the PC end?

No, thats not correct. ExtractStream can do 1 of two things (or both).
The first is to pull the raw tystream off the disk in some "magic" order
(well, its not magic, its just been fun trying to figure it out). The
second
part is to parse the stream into the respective video and audio parts.
This is where things become entertaining, because there are parts of
the stream that are "unknown". What to do with the unknown (like just
ignore it) is the primary issue, since just ignoring it may be what is
causing the audio/video sync problems that most people have.

If you are using a dependable transport (like netcat, nfs, smb, etc) then
there is no integrity loss while transferring the bytes over ethernet.

I ported convertstream to win32 a while back. It wasn't terribly tough
and required fixing some issues with ExtractStream, since AFAIK,
no-one was actually using the raw tystream output that ES produced.
Since then, several people have been working on additional modifications
for win32. The goal is to get one application (like netmplex) that can
receive
a raw tystream from ExtractStream over a built in Netcat client. Then the
single application can perform the splitting of the streams and putting them
back together into a legitimate mpg2 format w/out intermediate files or
requiring extra work on the tivo side.

I can't speak for the other people working on this stuff, but I'll
try to make my updates available as soon as I get a chance to test
it some more and fix a couple of things.

Dale