Proliferation of too many different apps...

jewser joshua at b...
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 05:01:59 -0000

Just my 2 cents. So take it or leave it...

I am not getting paid to do this. I do this because it is fun and
interesting to me. I have been off and on for years a codec expert
for various companies etc... Although I had little to no experience
with MPEG2 internals before starting all of this.

While I can see the point of a centralized location. And I am
actually all for this. (I had no idea there were 3 or 4 places where
one could look for information on what is going on with extractiong
and spliting. I guess I just lucked into the DealDatabase forum...)

Trying to put it altogether into one project is not something I am
personally interested in. Right now this is fun and I have time so I
work on it. But add the trouble of someone else, potentially self
appointed, trying to tell me what to do or what to work on next or
whatever and it becomes work. And as soon as it becomes work I am out
of here. This is a hobby for me, nothing more.

Now I know I great deal about TyStreams and what is going on inside
the Tivo. I have through some serious reading, a lot of effort and
tons of trial and error figured out a great a deal. I got some basic
knowledge from the original vsplit code, and just figured it out from
there. I can only assume others have done the same thing. But even at
that my efforts are on processing not on extraction. I would be all
to happy to leave the rest of it up to someone else.

The problem is that I can either finish or spend my time trying to
bring other up to speed. I would rather finish and let those that are
interested go through my code as needed.

The proliferation of apps is not a concern to me. I like talking
about languages. The old everyone should use... argument. I have
produced code that will compile just about anywhere. It is all
straight C. Most others have done the same. Each has a purpose or
point to it. Lots are simple enhancements of basic old programs. Each
with strengths and weeknesses. TyC and tyConvert do the same things.
Infact share an almost identical code base. ExtractStream in all it
incarnations is a very similar beast.

One of the most original reworking I saw was GaryW's TivoApp. He took
the source from many of those other programs and with some serious
skill plugged it altogether. I find it a little too unstable for my
tastes but it does far more than anything else I have seen from other
authors. All in all a very nice piece of work.

My own efforts are tailor made to what I want. If it works for others
fine and dandy you are welcome to it. If not, try someone elses
program(s). Or wait for the source and go to town making your own app.

I have tried the route of passing things around. I have sent Gary a
half a dozen PM's and emails in the last 2 months offering my VSplit
work as something he could put in his own program. Never got a single
response. I figure he is just busy. But that leads me right back to
my first point. He is busy now, I most likely will be when he has
time. I would rather work at my own pace.

Anyway, I have rambled enough. Bottom line I will contribute when and
as I can and the rest I am just not interested in...

--jdiner

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "skorous" <skorous@y...> wrote:
> --- In ExtractStream@y..., Michael Loftis <mloftis@w...> wrote:
> > I think we, as a community, really need to focus our efforts
> > into a single project. Right now I know of no less than 5 or 6
> > different apps out there. What we really need to do is make a
> > focal point for this whole effort.
> >
> > I'd like to opena discussion to that effect right now. I really
> > htink that doing this would benefit the entire community and allow
> > us all to have some really high quality apps.
>
> Well, a couple of things. Remember that this is all my opinion and
> admitted, I automatically resist when people tell me "what we
really
> need".
>
> Perhaps it would be better but perhaps not. All the code is being
> distributed (except jdiner but he's already said he will after he
> gets it closer to perfect and I respect that) so should Gary want
> steal some code from Merch's ZSS or Jdiner from Playitsam it's
> perfectly acceptable. And many times it's better to completely re-
> invent the wheel rather than trying to patch things in over and
over
> again. Again using JDiner as an example, would he be as far forward
> as he appears to be if he were forced to work within the framework
of
> Merch's ZSS or vice versa? And by adding a big layer of bureacracy
at
> the top you're going to have problems with philosophical
differences.